Tuesday 1 October 2019

Game Elements

The first article I read was "Formal Abstract Design Tools" by Doug Church. I found article really hard to read. It had a lot of technical jargon that I had a hard time understanding. But it did given me a bit of an inside look at some tools of game design like intention, perceivable consequence and story and how they can work well together in certain games types and not so in other games types. 
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131764/formal_abstract_design_tools.php

The second article I read was "A Look at Negative Game Mechanics" by Josh Bycer. I quite liked this article. It was much easier to understand and follow. It talked about game mechanics that are designed to force the player to spend money to play the game, from arcade machines in the nineties to free to play and social media games and why such mechanics should be avoided.
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoshBycer/20120903/177027/A_Look_At_Negative_Game_Mechanics.php

The third and final article I read was "The Paper Chase Saving Money Paper Prototyping" by John Henderson. The article was going over what game designer, Giles Schildt, said to game design students at a talk at the community college. I liked the article and the idea of designing a game prototype on paper before moving onto actually making the game, since it'll make the design easier to understand for everyone and that it's easy to scrap and change.
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2690/the_paper_chase_saving_money_via_.php

(A picture of a designer working on a game. Found here.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan,

    I also found some of the readings very difficult to read and digest. There has been terms I have never seen and words that I couldn't fully understand even when I googled them. I have found certain readings frustrating because of this. I found it fascinating how arcade machines were designed to force the player to spend their money in the nineties. I also found it very beneficial to discover the benefits of paper prototyping.

    I look forward to reading some of your future blogs on game design.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nathan,

    This was a good post. I totally understand what you mean about technical jargon, some of the things they talk about are things I've never heard of before and it can get very confusing especially when they don't explain it. But your summary of the articles was very good.

    - Casper :)

    ReplyDelete