Sunday 20 October 2019

Game Vision Statement

Introduction: The game is called "The Magic Gate", which is a 3D, open world game for the PC and Mac that will use the the proven Unity engine. The player will play as a nameless knight who while resting in a village, gets trapped in it when the evil wizard, Crulock, places a curse on the village where an invisible force traps the village and the woods around it and the only way out is through an enchanted gate that no one can open. The player is instructed by the village elder to gather thirty fairy dust orbs around the village and forest so they can cast a spell on the gate and set them all free.

Description: The game is set in a third person perspective where you as the knight have to roam and explore the village and the land and woods around it to find thirty fairy dust orbs to open the gate at the end of the village. Once in the game, you go where ever you feel without restrictions. Meaning you can either get starting on collecting or just explore the land. You can also talk with the people in the village who will give you more lore about the world of the game. This will be done through text boxes. You can also encounter skeletons who are trying to stop your quest and you can slay them using you sword. They will take one hit to take down but the player can only take three hits before they die. When they do, they will be sent back to the village where they started but they will still have all the fairy dust orbs they collected before dying. There will also be environmental hazards like rivers, pits and snakes that the player has to avoid. Like the skeletons, even the player gets hit by these three times they will die and be sent back to the village. The game is targeted at people between 7 - 20 years old because fantasy and collecthon games are usually timeless and appeal to all ages. The story will be light in tone with friendly villagers who will have funny dialogue. It will have the feeling like that of a fairy tale with minor dark elements here and there.

Key Features:
- Open 3D environment: The game will have a small but well filled 3D environment to roam and explore that was popular within the "Sly" series of games.

- Collectathon element: The game will have objects scattered around the world that the player must collect in order to complete it, similar to that in the "Banjo Kazooie" series of games.

- Story element: The will have an interactive world where the player can talk to the village people and learn more about the world and get more insight of it's history and why the wizard has trapped them, similar to the "Elder Scrolls" series of games.

Genre: "The Magic Gate" is a fantasy, adventure, collectathon game.

Platforms: The two only platforms for this game will be for the PC and Mac.

Sources: https://unity3d.com/make-a-game-in-unity-without-programming

(Free roaming in Final Fantasy XV. Source.)

8 comments:

  1. Hello Nathan, I just read through your game statement and I really enjoyed learning about the game you are going to make. I connect with your game idea being a collecting game, I myself am trying to put out a collecting game so finding out that someone else is also considering the same idea makes me feel compelled to learn more. Did you always consider the skeleton soldiers to be implemented into your game? I can guess the reason they exist in the game world is to add an extra layer of challenge to the game but I am not entirely sure how they are going to function with the mechanics of the game, would they have a detection field where they will chase you upon spotting you? You might want to utilize the NPC's presence in the game to a more practical level, while I understand they can provided humorous dialogue as you have said so yourself, I think allowing the NPC's give hints (they can even be subtle hints) to the player and it would be rather helpful to the game and may encourage players to seek out each one and listen to what they may have to say. I look forward to seeing how this game turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan,

    I really like the backstory of your game. The idea of collecting items to get to your end objective of casting a spell on the gate to release everyone is really interesting. This game does have a similar feeling to something like Skyrim which is one of my personal favorite games so having the choice of an open world game is something I would definitely enjoy.

    Will health regenerate over time or will there be some type of health potion or food implemented to save you from dying to another hit?

    A suggestion you could consider is to put mini boss fights throughout the game where you could maybe get an upgrade on your weapon or maybe armor to take an extra hit. Overall I really like your idea and I will definitely be interested to see how it develops!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nathan

    I really enjoyed reading about your game especially the fact that it is a 3D open world game which is one of my favorite styles of game. I was just curious is there one main story or just smaller ones you can choose to interact between ?

    Sounds Great and looking forward to reading more about it best of luck

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathan,

    This game sounds right up my alley! As you said, fantasy collectathons are timeless. I think that the story is really well envisioned, and it gives the perfect set up to the events of the game. The "three hits and you die" element is a good idea, and I think it will keep the game challenging throughout.

    Will the player gain experience or new weapons as the game progresses?

    One idea that came to me as I was reading was an Instant-Revive item. This would be a rare find, but it would allow the player to continue from where they died, rather than being transported back to the village. It may not go with your concept, but I just thought I'd suggest it!

    Good luck with it Nathan. I'm looking forward to playing it.

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nathan,
    A lovely read this blog was. I enjoyed reading every sentence of it. I found the layout of your game vision statement to be very effective as it was very easy to follow and having the topics underlined is a great idea as people can easily find out what each paragraph is about. I liked the layout a lot. I'm just wondering, will there be a checklist for the the objects that the knight has to collect so we know exactly how much objects and items we have collected? Id suggest to have a checklist or even blacked out items either on the top or bottom corner and when you collect an object the blacked out items will fill with their right colour. Overall, I enjoyed reading about your game and want to wish you the best look on your adventure to creating this game. Keep up the good work and you will create a fantastic game.
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nathan, just after reading through your blog post there and I have to say it seems great. You definitely have put in a lot of thought and time into your game which is great to see. Your game seems really good and very unique, I love the fact that your free to roam around but also can collect too if you please. I like that it takes 3 hits to take down the player as it makes it a bit more difficult. Have you ever considered increasing it a bit, maybe to 5 hits or so? Just a thought.This genre of game is very popular and I say a lot of people will enjoy it. The lay out of your idea was very easy to follow and laid out clearly.All in all it sounds great and I hope that it all works out for you. Keep up with the idea because your doing great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nathan,

    I think it would be good to add a feature in where the player can choose the knights name. This will give players the opportunity to fulfil a roleplay narrative for themselves. I like that you have incorporated collectibles and made them an objective for the player. This will be great for keeping the players occupied. I think that having these obstacle characters like skeletons etc. will be great for keeping the player guessing and means the player will have other obstacles in their path as well as trying to find the orbs. I think it might be a good idea to add some booby trap like paths to certain orbs so they player has to work out how to get passed the path safely to collect the orb. I think this could be another obstacle feature to add to your game which would make it even more diverse. I think it is good that you are adding some humour into your dialogue as well because there is nothing more a player enjoys then having a good laugh while playing a game.

    I have left some suggestions that might be of use to you above. I hope you have fun making your game.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete