Thursday 26 September 2019

Introduction to a Media Student

Howdy. My name is Nathan Harte. I am a college student who is attending TU Blanchardstown, studying my year of creative digital media. I am twenty two years old. I live in Walkinstown, Co Dublin (I have to get two buses everyday, both ways, to come here. Yay.) with my mom and dad, older brother Thomas and my dog Russell. My main hobbies include writing and playing video games. I'm basically a big (and annoying) goofball. I love cracking jokes and sharing memes with others. I'm also a big nerd/fanboy. I'm prone to gush over the movies, shows and games I like. I know more about Transformers lore then Irish history. I know I should like more adult media but hey, what's wrong with enjoying the fun, goofy stuff? My favorite movie is the original Ghostbusters, my favorite show is My Hero Academia, my favorite game is Shovel Knight and my three most favorite franchises are Power Rangers, Transformers and Overwatch.

I chose this course because I have an interest in media and would like to get a job somewhere within the media industry. Before coming here, I attended a two year level five and six film and television PLC course at the Dun Laoghaire Further Education Institute. My first year of this course didn't go too well. I wasn't ready for what full college was like and it was all a bit of a shock. I was prone to getting overly stressed and panicking. But as the year went on, I improved myself. I learned what was expected of me and how much work I had to put in. So through sweat and tears I got all my assignments done. I did very well, way better then what I expected.  I passed my modules with C's, B's and the odd A's. I struggled greatly in secondary school, barely able to scrape a C at best. But I never felt more proud of myself. So hopefully, with a new sense of confidence and a lot of work and determination I can continue to do well. (Hopefully saying that doesn't jinx it.) 

(A picture of Russell)

15 comments:

  1. Hey Nathan! nice to know I'm not the only one who loves my hero academia, haven't watched season 3 yet, is it any good? I also didn't really like Secondary School. and my first year of college took a bit of getting used to but after a few week i started getting into a rhythm. Nice speaking to you Nathan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely reply! I'm glad to meet another MHA fan but don't worry, I haven't seen season 3 yet, I'm wrapping up season 2. And it's nice to know I'm not alone with how much of a hell secondary school was. Thank for the kind words and I hope this year goes well for you :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Nathan!

    First off I think it's very clear to see your passion for everything media. It's definitely a good distance for you to get to college every day (I can relate to the two buses each way, Yay). I completely agree with your thoughts on media, the fun and goofy stuff is just as important as the rest.

    It's great to see that you can sense improvement in your confidence as you have gotten further into college and the difficult experiences it brings. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog and seeing how your self-confidence and skills improve even more!

    -Dylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think you're fucking better don't you...Just kidding! Thank you for the kind words! I hope this year goes well for you too dude. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Nathan, I really really like your introduction. Wowzers, I never knew you too liked My Hero Academia and like you I also like Overwatch. Russell is very lovely and was the goodest of bois when I went to film Procrastination. Interesting to hear about the PLC course, I did one myself for two years and in retrospect helped me a lot with independence and management of time. Regarding first year, I too got very stressed with the work, but thankfully had the ability to translate that to great grades. I'm anticipating whatever comes up next on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First things first, how do you expect me to focus on your blog when you have a photo of such an adorable dog here. As for the buses I know the pain of public transport. The writing is very clear and easy to read and most importantly the dog is just so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nathan, Its so interesting to learn that you have studied courses before coming to this one. I also struggled a lot in secondary school with my grades and exams, and I am extremely proud of how this course has changed them and my confidence in working. Also russle is one f the cutest dogs I have ever seen in my life. give that good boy a head rub from me!
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well a good day to you Nathan

    I must say that I very much so enjoyed reading a bit about yourself and it is interesting of your likes and hobbies. Ah yes, the wide variety of Transformers is way more exciting then of the dire potato famine of 1847. I can relate to you with the whole thing of secondary school as it was a dark time for many of us indeed. But besides that, my hat goes off to you and I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    Cheerio
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nathan I loved reading your blog and getting to know a bit about you.
    Having to get two busses is such a pain it adds to your day so much(i feel your pain)
    I also found the first year a bit tough and challenging so your not alone on that one lol, I find this year a lot more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heya Nathan!
    Firstly, your doggo is very handsome, please tell him he's a good boy from me. Overwatch is great, you've probably noticed I've an Overwatch bag :D
    Glad you're enjoying the course!
    ~Pawel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nathan,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning a lot about you there is nothing wrong with being a goofball better than being boring I also really enjoyed a good meme and love films and t.v shows I did not know you did a course before this course so nice to learn that about you also your dog is so cute I love dogs but who doesn't anyway hope to read more from you soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nathan,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog! I know the pain of public transport, know what's even more frustrating than taking two buses ? having to take two buses and you live right next to the college! I also love Power Rangers too, my favourite season is SDP, best power ranger team ever !

    I can't wait to read your blog in the future!

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nathan,

    I used to love watching Ghostbusters when I was younger. I used to love singing along to the theme song, it was great. I’m not a huge fan of memes but there is some good ones out there! Congratulations on passing your exams in your PLC course. I know you must have had a tough year from what you said but the main thing is you got through it.

    I look forward to reading some of your future blogs.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Nathan,

    It was cool to learn more about you in this post. I also have to get two buses both ways to get to college everyday so I feel your pain, it can be really draining. I also love goofy things more then serious things so don't let anyone tell you its bad, just keep doing you .

    - Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Nathan,

    First of all, the important statement: your dog, Russell is very cute. Now, the rest of the comment. I love how you've managed to develop yourself and adjust to levels of work that are needed from you, that is amazing and takes a lot of will power. Most people would drop out and give up, so well done to you.

    BLC Blogging

    ReplyDelete