Sunday 17 November 2019

First Playable of The Magic Gate

Progress on the game is going okay, nothing great. I've got most of the map built, the only thing I'm missing is the grass and the buildings. I have downloaded a fantasy house but am having difficulty putting it in so for the time being I have 3D rectangles as placeholders. I have all the collectibles placed around the map and I got them to rotate but I'm having difficulty getting the script to make the player pick up the orbs when the player walks into them. I'm also have difficulty with the player character. I tried to set up a third person character but the camera wouldn't follow them so for the time, I have a first person character in as a placeholder. I also made the world map bigger then I expected so I might have to increase the players speed to make up for it. I also need to add borders and a sky box to the game. So over all progress is okay but could be better.

(Overview of the game world)

(Player starting point)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan!

    For the script where you can pick up the orbs when the player character walks into them can be found in one of our earliest Unity Tutorials from Jimmy Vegas. I think it's the 4th video about C# coding.

    Good to see progress being made and your game taking shape as of now!
    Great work!

    -Zhen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Nathan!
    I loved reading your blog on your first playable game. I like how your progress has come along since day one. I also feel like my game is going okay but nothing great, but I'm sure we will all get the hang of Unity properly soon.Good to see that your game is getting a shape and that you haven't just given up.Do you think you will get much done this week compared to last week? I like your idea for your game as I think if you get all the assets that you want, that it will be a great game and a game that I would love to play . I also am having trouble with getting everything for my game so I might need to tweak a few things but I'm hoping I can get through it fine, I'm trying not to stress myself so much and just going to put a lot of effort in it.
    Talk to you soon and good luck for the next week,
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  3. well a good day to you Nathan!

    well, well, well I am glad to see that your game design is coming along really well if I do say so myself and I am sure that the Decipticons will never find the plans to domination of Cybertron or the Universe in this very interesting game build that you have here. I think that it is coming along well. My one question that I have to ask is that will this have a score system or will this be like a calming game where score and time doesn't matter and it is all just enjoying playing the game and relaxing. I don't need t give any options or adding anything as I feel that you have a clear idea and it seems to be working out well here. Keep up the great work with your very interesting game concept here.

    Cheerio!!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathan,

    I really like your game, I know progress has been going slow but it's better then no progress !

    As for the problem with your game, Jimmy Vegas tutorial can help you with walking into the gem, I believe it was episode 3 or 4 ? Jimmy Vegas' tutorials have been helping me out a lot with my game so his videos might be able to help you out too.

    I have one question: Will there be anything else other then collecting ? For example: Enemies ? Is this supposed to be a relaxing game or a one the edge of your seat game ? I'm just curious and a little confused if I'm gonna be honest with you.

    Also don't beat about using placeholder assets or your third person camera not working. There are some people who can't get unity to download on their laptop so getting anything do is impressive !

    Anyway, can't wait to read your blog again in the future !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete