Tuesday 12 November 2019

Game Fun

This week I read the article "Natural Funitivity" by Noah Falstein. The article explored the question of what makes a fun game. He starts off by discussing what fun means as a concept and how it's hard to define. But he says it's linked to our ancestral sense of survival, saying that video games connect to our sense of survival which in turn if fun to us. He also listed the three types of fun we enjoy on a mental level. First is psychical fun, doing psychical activities appeals to our sense of survival. Social fun, where we like to interact with other people since we are social creatures. And finally mental fun, where enjoy challenges that make us think hard.

Link: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130573/natural_funativity.php?page=1

(A drawing of a caveman hunting. Found here.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nathan,

    I enjoyed reading your notes. I have skimmed over the reading posts and they all seem very similar in layout and style. I would love to get more detail into the topic rather than just a summary of what it's about. What I've found from reading other people's notes, is that bullet points and brief explanations are the most effective and I've started to use these techniques myself when note-taking.

    Look forward to reading more :)

    BLC Blogging

    ReplyDelete